Thursday, September 8, 2011

A Bird a Day Keeps the Homework Away.

I've decided to make flashcards for myself to help study up on my North American bird ID.  I'm starting from the beginning...Anatidae through Zosteropidae (whatever, these are all Asian species, but I needed a Z family).  Actually, I'm going through my National Geographic Field Guide to the Birds of North America one page at a time and writing down the name and scientific family of the bird on one side, and its description, range, call, etc. on the other side.  This way I can start off easily by reading the description and guessing the name, and then get harder by doing the opposite.  I'm going to try to do a page or two a day, making this into what's likely to become a year-long project.  This, along with actually getting outside and practicing, will help me immensely in the details of identification.  So far I've got:

Greater White-Fronted Goose


Bean Goose

Pink-Footed Goose


Snow Goose

Ross's Goose


Emperor Goose

Barnacle Goose

I tried to post pictures of all of them, but my internet is so terrible it turned off my computer.  You'll just have to look them up yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment